Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hillcrest Farmer's Market Closes For The Winter

Today I went to one of my favourite markets for the last time this season. They close for the winter, so I will have to go back to shopping for produce at my local supermarket. I did stock up on fresh Ontario produce; potatoes, onions, Ambrosia apples, mini cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots. This should keep me busy cooking healthy meals for a least a couple of weeks! It's important to store the produce properly so it doesn't go bad.
The farmers told me to store the food in a cool, dry, dark place. It is to be kept in paper bags or cardboard boxes or mesh bags, nothing plastic. I put most of it in my basement because it is the coolest, dryest, darkest place in my house.
I plan on making homemade tomato sauce, eggplant parmigian, and stir fry!
There are markets that stay open year round so I will have to find one I like as much as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment