Thursday, October 20, 2011
Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
This recipe is a great combination of chocolate, which I love, and oatmeal, which I want to love because it is so good for my health! It looks like a chocolate muffin, but it is not overly sweet like a piece of cake. The oatmeal, and other healthy ingredients like zucchini, orange juice, and walnuts, help neutralize the richness of the chocolate!
1/2 medium zucchini (approximately 1 cup cut up)
1 cup gluten free rolled oats by ONLY OATS
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
3/8 teaspoon Bob's Red Mill Xanthan Gum
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts that I put in the food processor
1) Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray the muffin pan with Cooking Spray by Spectrum. I use Grapeseed Oil Spray.
2) Add the walnuts to the processor until they are ground, approximately 15 seconds and set aside.
3) Grate the zucchini in the processor and set aside.
4) Process the rolled oats, gf all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add the egg, orange juice, coconut oil, and vanilla. Process for 20 seconds or until it is completely blended. Add the zucchini that you set aside earlier and process for 10 seconds. Add the ground walnuts and process with a few quick on/off pulses just to combine.
5) Fill each compartment of the muffin tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a few of the muffins comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins and freezes well.